Injectables & Wrinkle Fillers
Facial fillers are used to rejuvenate facial skin by eliminating or reducing wrinkles, enhancing lips, raising scar depressions, and replacing soft-tissue volume loss through facial injections. They consist of products such as hyaluronic acid, collagen and calcium hydroxyl apatite. Over time our skin becomes more susceptible to sagging and wrinkles. Furthermore, years of muscle movement (smiling, chewing, squinting) and exposure to the sun contribute to tissue breakdown of the skin.
Facial fillers range from temporary to long-lasting solutions administered through a few microscopic facial injections on targeted areas of the face. Many types of facial fillers are available, and each is designed with one or several purposes– such as lip augmentation or wrinkle reduction. Dr. Abadan and her team of dental professionals can help you determine which injectable filler treatments and facial injections are right for you.
Facial fillers will volumize folds and creases in the face in areas that have lost collagen and fat. Hyaluronic acid acts as the natural filler substance present in your body. Over time the face loses volume and appears aged with deeper nasolabial folds, a deeper mentalis fold, and unaesthetic marionette lines. Additionally, the lips begin to thin out and turn down the corners of the lips.
Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane are then injected extraorally right underneath these folds to replace the lost volume which produces a more youthful look in the face. Dermal fillers can be used for lip augmentation, asymmetrical lips around the mouth, high lip line cases, and completing cosmetic dentistry cases by creating a beautiful looking frame around the teeth.
Here are some more well known of the best dermal fillers :
- Juvederm Facial Filler: Juvederm is made of a hyaluronic acid gel. It is a naturally-occurring substance in the skin that contributes to hydration and volume. Juvederm is used to temporarily correct moderate to severe facial folds and wrinkles. Juvederm is made by the same makers of Botox, Allergan.
- Restylane Facial Filler: Restylane is a soft tissue dermal filler that adds volume to the skin through microscopic injections. Restylane is a non-animal, biodegradable gel composed of hyaluronic acid. It helps to smooth wrinkles and facial folds in areas around the mouth and eyes.
In addition there are some lesser known dermal fillers:
- Sculptra: Sculptra is the first FDA-approved injectable for the restoration of lost facial volume (correction of lipoatrophy) in people with HIV infection. It is an injectable made of synthetic polylactic acid contained in microspheres,
- Captique: Used for filling moderate to severe facial folds and wrinkles around the mouth and nose, is a soft tissue filler that adds volume to certain areas of the face. It is derived from non-animal-based hyaluronic acid.
- Collagen (Zyplast/ Zyderm): A soft-tissue dermal filler made from purified cow skin used to fill lines, wrinkles, and scars on the face. Collagen is a naturally-occurring protein that supports various parts of the body– tendons, ligaments, and skin. It will eventually absorb into the body.
- Radiesse: A synthetic dermal filler made of calcium hydroxyapatite is used for the correction of moderate to severe wrinkles and folds. This injectable is a longer-lasting filler due to the fact that the body forms collagen around the microspheres, adding bulk to the injected areas.
- Hylaform: Fills moderate to severe wrinkles around the mouth and nose, Hylaform ® is a dermal filler that has been chemically modified from hyaluronic acid. It is designed to temporarily smooth the surface of the skin.
Length of a Dermal Filler Injections and Side Effects
On average, filler injections take about 10 to 20 minutes per session. The amount of time is dependent on the individual and how many areas are being treated. Possible side effects include: numbness, bruising at injection site, temporary redness, pain/tenderness, swelling, or discoloration.
Patients are able to return to work and their normal activities directly following treatment, as dermal filler injections require very little downtime. However, for during the first day following treatment individuals may be instructed to refrain from excessive heat or sun exposure and strenuous activities.
Lumps (granulomas/nodules) are a risk with facial injections– associated with Sculptra, Juvederm, Radiesse, and ArteColl.
Results of Injectable Fillers
Most often times the results from injectable fillers are temporary, usually lasting from a few months to a year. This all depends on the type of filler injections or facial fillers used. Additional treatment sessions are encouraged for best results. Treatment consists of a series of microscopic injections under the skin’s surface – at the subdermal-dermal levels. The depth and size of the wrinkle or skin defect will determine the amount administered.
© 2017 Gentle Dentistry